Friday, January 22, 2010

Caring & Sharing

Bill and I have always tried to teach Emma about caring, sharing, kindness, and respecting others and their feelings. How much of this a 3-year-old really understands? Who knows. But every once in a while, you catch a glimpse of something. Something wonderful. Something that you hope your child picked up from something you said, something you did, something positive that she/he saw you do for someone else. We were in the grocery store this morning picking up a last-minute snack for Emma's class and Emma stops at a display of flowers, pausing to pick up a bouquet of yellow tulips.

E: These are for my teachers
M: Oh really?
E: Yeah, I need to buy them for them. To make them smile.
M: (after checking the price) I think Jennie, Sam, and Chris will like that.
E: And Bonnie, Linda, Rena, Debbie, Courtney, Patty, Terri
M: (interrupting) Um Emma? You are naming all the teachers at the whole school.
E: I am getting flowers for ALL of them!
M: Oh. Well....you better get a second bouquet then.

When we got to school, she walked from classroom to classroom delivering a tulip to each teacher, accepting hugs and smiles. The teachers thanked me, but I honestly couldn't take the credit for this idea. This was all her. The only thing I did was not say no when she had the inclination to do something nice for others.

I was so fortunate to catch a glimpse of something wonderful today. Something wonderful and caring and kind.

No comments: