Wednesday, September 9, 2009

1st Day of School


Tuesday was Emma's first day of preschool! We weren't sure how drop-off was going to go after her extremely shy behavior on Thursday at orientation. She woke up Tuesday morning exited to get dressed in the clothes that we had picked out together and seemed eager to take a few pictures with her Princess backpack and matching lunchbox, HOWEVER - the entire 30 minute ride to school all I heard from the backseat was a little whining voice saying, "I want daddy. I wanna go home" - over and over and over and over again. The WHOLE ride there.

There was some hesitation when we got to school, but she helped me find her hook in the hallway to hang up her backpack and then discovered the "Emma-sized" potty in the bathrooms. Things started to look up from there. An "Emma-sized" sink too! She helped me find her her nap cubbie and put her sheet, blanket, and Snow White doll away so that she would have them for rest time, put her lunch box away and we made our down the hall to the BIG Room where she would spend some time in the morning until more children got there (she is considered an early drop-off so she doesn't start in her regular preschool room). She was fascinated with the gigantic loft to climb on and within seconds was up the stairs to the top. A few seconds after that, she was in the pretend house playing with dolls so I decided to say my good-byes. She eagerly gave me a hug and a kiss and then went on her way.

When I called later in the morning to see how things were going, I was told that she was having a great time and was acting as if she had been going there her whole life. When I picked her up 8 hours later, she was on the playground and greeted me with a gigantic hug, but then went back to playing. I was told that she had a fantastic day (and since I know these teachers, they would have told me if she had had a rough day). She took a great nap and ate all of her lunch! She chatted the whole way home about her new friends, what she ate for snack, what she played with, and the class guinea pig.

Wednesdays drop-off went even better and at pick-up, I couldn't get her to leave. Again, more chatting on the way home about friends and classmates. She LOVES her teachers Jennie and Sam. Today was a "home" day and she came to the gym with me for a little while. She was clearly disappointed that it was not a school day. I would say that preschool is a success (so far!).

No comments: