Monday, April 20, 2009

The British Are Coming! Part I

234 years ago began the start of the Revolutionary War here in the Boston area and we are so fortunate to live close enough to be able to experience all the history that surrounds us. Personally, I was never interested in history (much to the dismay of my father and 2 brothers) until I moved out here to the Boston area and was able to see some of these historical landmarks and visit the area firsthand. I am now obsessed and I have started Emma on the same path.

Several times a year, we walk the Freedom Trail stopping at Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church where 2 lanterns were hung to warn others of the British arrival, the Old Ssouth Meeting House where the Boston Tea Party began, the site of the Boston Massacre, the Granary Burying Ground where Revere, the victims of the Boston Massacre, John Hancock, and Benjamin Franklin's parents are buried, & many other amazing landmarks.

This past weekend, we headed into Concord and Lexington to join in the festivities of the Revolutionary War re-enactment happenings that were going on in celebration of the anniversary of the "shot heard around the world" and the capture of Paul Revere. Friday evening, Emma and I sat down with the book "Let It Begin Here!" and read a little bit about Paul Revere, his ride from Boston, and the red coats. By the time we left on Saturday morning to go to Concord, she was a Revolutionary War pro. Well, as "pro" as a 2 1/2 year old can be.

No comments: