Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mama's Got a Brand New Job

Apparently I failed to mention (prior to my last post) that I was starting a new job and since my last post went up, I have received several emails and comments asking about the new job. I apologize to those that were left in the dark about the job change. Back in early June, I decided that I was ready to move away from the gymnastics field. I had been working there for 3 years and it had been fun, but it was time to move on. I had originally taken the job after I had Emma because I didn't want the responsibilities that came with a classroom teacher while Emma was so young. It was too time consuming and overwhelming and I just wasn't able to put 100% into the classroom. With Emma getting a little older now, I realized that I was ready to go back into the early childhood field, but wasn't quite sure that teaching in the classroom was the direction I wanted to go.

Being an early childhood educator, I do truly believe in the importance of "the early years" and feel that children and families need the best start possible. In the middle of June I accepted a position as a developmental specialist at an early intervention program. Early intervention programs provide services to children birth through 3 years of age who have developmental delays (gross or fine motor, speech/language), a medical diagnosis, or are at-risk. We provide services in the home and in the community so much of my day is spent driving. My office is in Lowell and we also provide services to 7 surrounding communities as well. Busy busy. My client base is building quickly and over the past week I have gotten referrals for children with autism, speech delays, sensory integration concerns, as well as children whose parents have some mental health concerns and therefore the children are at-risk. Over the next few weeks, I will hopefully be starting a Movin' & Groovin' program through the center to get young children more active. My days are busy, my days are tiring, my days are rewarding.


No comments: