Sunday, May 23, 2010

Swimming Lessons Continues

Emma is still taking swimming lessons once a week, every Thursday afternoon. It had been a slow progression, but progress had been being made. While all the other kids in the class were successfully making their way across the pool on their own with just the help of their bubbles (styrofoam strapped on their backs) and a little weight, Emma was refusing to try it on her own, insisting that her teacher help her every time and she would FREAK if the teacher tried to let go of the weight. However, she was doing awesome with her bobs (or as she calls them 'kabobs') where they blow bubbles with their mouths and do a little bouncing or bobbing. She was also doing great on her back, feeling more at ease leaning her head back and letting the water touch her ears. Progress. But last week after class, Emma wanted to stay and swim, so I let her. Why not? We had time. It was Youth & Teen swim only, so I couldn't be in the water with her - she had to put on a life jacket. Usually this means that she puts on a life jacket and holds onto the side of the wall for an hour and then we leave. NOT THIS TIME! She decided to let go and swim! On her back, on her front, kicking, paddling - all over the shallow end of the pool! She then tried out a noodle (with the life jacket). It took a little while for her to get the hang of using the noodle WITH the life jacket, but she got it! Of course I didn't have my camera, but I was able to get some video and pics on my phone, so hopefully I can upload them soon.

This afternoon after finishing all the things that needed to be done, I realized that the Y had family swim, so Emma and I headed over to swim. With me in the water with her, she gave the noodle a try with NO life jacket and did AWESOME!! So awesome that she was convinced that she didn't even need the noodle anymore. Um yeah....we confirmed that she did need it :o). Again, she was swimming the pool BY HERSELF! There was no fear, no hesitation - she just went! I was so proud on her! I can't wait to see what Thursday's lesson brings.

No comments: