Friday, December 4, 2009

Another Weekend Visitor

We have another visitor from Emma's classroom spending the weekend with us. Luckily, this friend is not as much work as Peep, the guinea pig was. Emma has talked about this special friend from the first day she was introduced to the class and she has been waiting so patiently until it was her turn to bring her home. Family and friends....we would like you to meet....GLORIA!

Gloria is NOT a witch, although some might think so upon first glance. She is a very shy friend who travels with her peace quilt and teaches Emma and her classmates about acceptance, caring, kindness, and being "different." Each year, the children all react differently to Gloria and this is the first year that children have asked to have the chance to take Gloria home to visit their families. They have also made Gloria a class mailbox and during choice time, children at the writing table will often draw her pictures and write her letters. She is truly a part of their classroom family.

This morning when we got ready to take Emma to school, Em insisted that Gloria needed a carseat for the ride home. So yes, when I picked Emma up later today, I made sure to put the other seat in so that Gloria would be safe on the way home from school. And no - I did not actually INSTALL the seat - that I think would have been a little bit too much, even for me.


No comments: