Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like.....

CHRISTMAS????!!!! Yup....that's right. It appears that around here we no longer really celebrate Thanksgiving. At least not in Emma's eyes or opinion. Of course, we will still have turkey and all the fixings on November 26th, but other than that, there is no sign that Thanksgiving is even occurring anywhere around us. I think that if Emma had her way, there would be no Thanksgiving at all around here.

She has totally gotten into the holiday spirit 150%, walking around singing jingle bells, and talking about Santa Claus and snow. She squeals with delight when we walk into a store and she sees anything related to Christmas, Santa, snowmen, or the holiday season. I have to admit - her enthusiasm is a tad bit contagious. She did talk me into buying her a 2 foot tall xmas tree, some lights, and a little star for the top of her tree while we were at the store the other. I couldn't help myself. She was so excited to see all the decorations and this tiny little tree that was just her size. Of course she insisted on putting it up in her room as soon as we got home. Over the past few days, we have picked up a few things here and there - window decorations, a snow globe, a little Santa dish. And there is now a nearly 3 foot tall gingerbread girl standing on a tree in Em's room, guarding the tree. It is true....we have gotten into Christmas mode here in the 'Burg.

We went to the mall yesterday and little did I know what an uproar that was going to cause. Santa was there. Sitting in his village, with elves and reindeer and his big comfy green chair ready for children to sit on his lap and have their picture taken. Emma was ready. She wanted to get in line and sit on his lap. First of all, she looked like a ragamuffin (not Santa picture presentable). Second of all, SERIOUSLY!? At least at home no one else can see that we have a tree up already, but at the mall anyone I know could see me standing in line in the middle of November waiting to see Santa! So I quickly made up the excuse that we couldn't see Santa b/c Daddy wasn't with us and he would be so sad if he missed it. 2 hours. Emma cried for 2 hours b/c she didn't get to sit on his lap and the first thing she said to Bill when we got home was "I am just so sad b/c I didn't get to sit on Santa's lap." and she broke down in tears AGAIN! Some kids are traumatized b/c their parents force them to sit with Santa. My kid is traumatized b/c I wouldn't let her sit with him.

I love that Emma is so excited about the holidays this year. Any other year, hearing xmas music this early would have driven me batty and I would have never put up any sort of holiday decorations in the house. But seeing her so excited, I just can't help but get wrapped up in it with her.

No comments: