A few weeks ago, Emma announced that she was going to do one more recital and then take a break from ballet. I wasn't sure that she really knew what "take a break" meant so I asked her to clarify, asked her what she meant. From the backseat she explained to me in her little, but oh so grown-up 4 1/2 year old tone of voice that she was going to do one more dance recital and then be done doing ballet, tap and jazz because she wanted to take horse back riding lessons and she knows that she can't take both riding and dance lessons at the same time because they cost a lot of money so she made a choice and was going to take a break from dancing and ride horses. So clearly she understood what "take a break" meant.
Am I sad? Absolutely. For a number of reasons. She is good at dance. Not just ok good, but really good. I am not just saying that as an obnoxious parent who thinks that their child is amazing at everything she does. No, she is actually good. Her teacher had already talked to me about her taking the 6 year old class over the summer. Also, we JUST bought her new ballet shoes. We have already put money into ballet & tap. What in the sam hill are we going to do with these darn shoes now? Dress ups? Tap shoes in the dress up clothes? I think not?
Am I excited? Absolutely! I had dreams of riding horses when I was younger. Financially and location wise it just wasn't an option. If there is a chance we can offer that to Emma while she is little I love that we can do that. She already has the riding helmet, boots, and we already have a barn to ride at thanks to her great friend Lizzie.
So come this June, Emma will take her final dance across that stage, wear her ballet shoes for quite possibly the last time, and then put on her riding helmet & mount Teddy Bear or Juliet (one of Lizzie's ponies) and begin riding lessons. It is the end.....no, it is the beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment